Teacher training programmes enable the recipients of training for playing the role of a teacher effectively and efficiently as an agent of change. There are a large number of untrained teachers in the State of Madhya Pradesh. To develop and strengthen the professional competency of the in-service teachers in Madhya Pradesh, Department of Multimedia Education (DME) was established in M.P. Bhoj (Open) University with B.Ed. Programme in 2002. The principle objectives of DME are:
• to carry out the academic needs of the rural population of the State, who are not able to afford the urban educational institutions.
• to provide flexible and cost-effective learning without any age bar to the needy rural population of the State.
DME undertakes academic activities pertaining to three major areas:
• Transfer the learning into practice as a profession.
• Integrate various branches of education into an academic profession.
• Development of multimedia support for education and training programmes.
The DME Comprises of the following disciplines:
• Teacher Education Programmes.
• Research and Curricular Development in Teacher Education.
The academic programmes being offered by the DME are:
• Bachelor of Education through Open and Distance Mode [B.Ed. (ODL)].
• Diploma in Elementary Education through Open and Distance Mode [D.El.Ed. (ODL)].